The event was at the SF Studios and was volunteer run. The admin, organisation etc was seamless. There were 15 speakers, of which three were entertainment pieces, there were two recorded TED global talks, and we even had a robot! Here's the Official Review of TEDxZurich 2013.
There were so many brilliant ideas and speakers, but the speakers/topics that stayed with me were Lily Asquith on Higgs Boson, Suzy Moat on predicting future from digital footprints, Ian Livingstone on the importance of computer games, Sean Dromgoole on the future of marketing. For an excellent summary (auf DE), one of my new contacts had posted his blog by the next day! Read more here
The concentrated energy and focus of 500 participants was amazing. We basically sat still and listened for hours. At one point I looked around me and saw people making notes on laptops, in old school notebooks, taking photos and tweeting via iphone. Everyone wanted to record their impressions of the day. The breaks and lunch allowed partipants to discuss the talks heard, what they had learnt, what they would take away with them. It was truly inspiring and motivating. My phone battery and brain nearly ran out at the same time (ie part way through afternoon), but I found reserves from somewhere and the day finished with an apero and more talking!
And here are my moleskin notes from the day. Below are my tweets from the day, which give a good overview of my thoughts on the talks as they happened. Looking at the tweets at #TEDxZurich throughout, it was amazing how consistent the messages were. As participants, we all picked up on a very homogenous set of key points from each speaker. It was great to also be part of the digital twitter community and conversation at the same time as being their in "person".
Final thoughts? Best day I spent and best CHF 50 I spent so far in 2013! I want to be there in 2014 and I want to volunteer.
all my photos here
My TEDx Day in Tweets :-)
- have a good spot! waiting for start :-) #tedxzurich
- am surrounded by laptops, but my pen and trusted moleskin at ready! old school :-) http://flip.it/qmC4E
- here we go! #tedxzurich
- pen & notebook at ready! old school :-) #tedxzurich http://t.co/WPB7sD7AtD
- great start by nicholas perony! simplicity, complexity, resilience! #tedxzurich
- http://t.co/zFhPVjJPPA #tedxzurich
- 30 secs in and i like lily asquith already! #tedxzurich
- what does higgs boson sound like? very cool demo and explanation by lily! #tedxzurich
- interesting talk from suzy moat about predicting behaviour using digital data #tedxzurich
- beautiful multisprache musical interlude from mia aegerter #tedxzurich http://t.co/nMhjkV5Kea
- biggest laugh so far for sean dromgoole about marketing! # tedxzurich
- future of marketing via bill hicks, plato and guinness! #tedxzurich
- great lunch courtesy of notguilty and inspiring conversations with old & new friends! #tedxzurich
- we start again! #tedxzurich http://t.co/cBhcpGYCke
- we start again with risk literacy! http://t.co/YaQNNwdD0V #tedxzurich
- Listen consciously to live fully - julian treasure. #tedxzurich
- @Paivi_Raty hi paivi, you here too? :-)
- to the barricades to demand fair knowledge/power balances in socio-technological world! thoughtprovoking judith simon! #tedxzurich
- thought for the final coffee break from "not guilty" #tedxzurich http://t.co/gRPVJcsGDd
- brain is nearly full to bursting, but still have some room for final 5 talks! #tedxzurich #TEDxZurich
- happy camper at tedxzurich! http://t.co/NOOTXLi3ZY
- Roboy attends TED too :-) great talk by Rolf Pfeifer with dancing robots! http://t.co/YNeRgsXLlB #tedxzurich
- surprised robot! http://t.co/L0OJRKQKf6 he can also blush! #tedxzurich
- my batteries and the iphone batteries are nearly dead! who will fail first? :-) music from brazil next ! #tedxzurich http://t.co/ZEKd2UqYRn
- playful end to tedxzurich with Ian livingstone, Lara Croft's "favourite uncle" and brain behind dungeons&dragons! #tedxzurich
- ciao! danke vielmal TedxZurich und zum Wohl! http://t.co/y5ccwQ8Lr5 #tedxzurich
- @ian_livingstone @TEDxZurich Really enjoyed your talk today Ian!
- @TEDxZurich Thank you to all the committee and vounteers for a fantastic day. My first ever TEDx event. I feel inspired! Cheers :-) Helen