My year of being 40 is about celebrating and stabilising the fabulous life that I have, but working towards some bigger goals and also finding ways to inspire me (and by extension my family) to do new and creative things, to shake myself out of my comfort zone.
It feels like a transitional year, of deciding what our family and our future looks like. Of appreciating everything that we have. Of me accepting that I am now finally grown up!
It is a year to get fit, get healthy, find the right weight for me that i can sustain. I want to build a healthy foundation that will see me through to old age and keep me working and active as long as possible. I want to establish long term, sustainable, exercise habits.
It's a year to decide on the next stage of my career, of deciding how I want to develop professionally.
So, the list, grouped into 4 categories. I will try and do monthly updates on how I am getting on. I vow now to focus on what I do achieve and not berate myself for what I don't achieve! If you can help me with a challenge, please let me know!
Family, Friends, Community
1. Reflect on the 40 best things I have done in my life so far
2. Find a userpic for @40
3. Plan a family holiday in Canada in 2014
4. 40 cups of tea with friends
5. Family Palmer weekend in UK
6. Monthly dates with Mr.Ncot
7. Night away with Mr.Ncot (without boys!) at Montana Hotel, Lucerne
8. Visit Cheryl
9. Plant a Tree
10. Create a time capsule box for when I'm 80! (40 photos / cards / momentos)
11. Replace engagement ring
12. Weekend in Brussels
13. Weekend in Manchester
14. Visit Parents on barge
15. Swim across Zurich lake in summer (and/or limmat river swim in December)
16. Half Marathon in Cape Town, Easter 2014
17. Learn 40 new recipes
18. 40 hours of Yoga
19. Walk on Uetliberg once a month
20. Find spiritual director / church / nourish my spiritual self
Creative & Having Fun
21. Attend TED zuerich in Oct 2013
22. Sail on Zurich Lake
23. Blog weekly
24. Go tandem paragliding
25. Family Photo Shoot
26. Create album for me about being 40
27. Attend 4 cultural events
28. Redesign www.helenpalmer.co.uk (using flavors me)
29. Go to a radio or tv recording in London (have I got news for you, the news quiz, the now show etc)
30. Complete my patchwork quilt
31. Relive my student days in Sheffield
32. Create photo album of professional shoots
33. Cake baking / decorating course / cooking course
34. Take a private skiing lesson (either downhill or cross country)
35. Finish wedding sampler for M&M
36. Finish our wedding album !
Work & Study
37. Find a PhD supervisor (and therefore a topic)
38. Find my next job
39. Become a mentor
40. Alan's Joker