Since Lent is now at an end, I wanted to review my lent goals. I wanted to focus on doing things, rather than giving things, and I've found my lent challenges to be really helpful and positive.
1. Focus on completing dissertation
This was a great success. I worked on the research 23 out of the 45 days and managed to complete the thesis and send it off. It showed me that by breaking the goal down into smaller tasks and forcing myself to update each day, it helped me to clearly see how much or how little I was doing. A tactic I will use for big tasks in the future I think. I discovered that I worked better in Starbucks, where there were less distractions! I was proud of myself for finally finishing and for keeping going, even though a few months ago I doubted that the pain would ever end. I was really happy with my research in the end and I was proud of myself and my achievement, whatever the result :-)
2. Watch less television & 3. Spent less time online
No 2 and No 3 were about restricting myself, without actually giving up things. I did watch less TV, but found that this was often the only time mr.ncot and I got to spend time together, and often we'd actually talk about stuff, rather than watch TV. But it made me really focus on what I was choosing to watch. I spend less time online, but could have probably restricted myself further. There were very few days when I didn't watch any TV or didn't go on the internet.
4. Take exercise each day
This was a good goal, I exercise on 22 out of the 45 days, did lots of running, aerobics and walking. And I really enjoyed my Friday yoga session. Will try and continue.
5. Reflect on 5 positive things per day
This was such a positive thing to do and I will definitely use this technique again in the future, even if it's only in my moleskin journal. I realised that even when I was having a "bad" day, I had a lot to be thankful for. And it was very addictive, the more you thought about it, the more positive things you found. So what were the highlights?
- finishing the research
- being loved and loving my family and friends, so many emails and phone calls
- Doing so much and having so much fun with my real life friend katcolorado!
- going to several interviews and getting close to having a job!
- Finding BBC 6 Music (thanks beebarf!)
- Having so much fun with Bookcrossing - sending and receiving books, doing suprise, writing articles, feeling connected and all booked up :-)
- Being supported by all my livejournal friends, thank you!